A delicous Tuna, Chickpea and Tomato Salad: both healthy and hearty, with juicy tomatoes and protein-packed chickpeas. A perfect quick lunch!
Chickpeas are a common staple in Mediterranean cuisine, used in all manner of soups, stews, salads and, perhaps most famously, houmous. They are filling, economical and great for health, but for some reason they are seriously underused in Britain. Here in this salad, I have made them the star ingredient for a change, where they provide a wonderful slightly nutty, crunchy contrast to the soft, juicy tomatoes. The garlicky lemon and olive oil dressing pulls it all together into a yummy meal that you can be sure is doing you good.
This Mediterranean-inspired tuna salad not only ticks all the boxes health-wise, but is also substantial enough to to be eaten as a simple main dish, perhaps accompanied by a piece of rustic bread, or delicious sourdough. (A little herb-infused olive oil for dipping wouldn’t go amiss here, either.)
The fact it only takes minutes to assemble using common store-cupboard ingredients is an added bonus!
Tuna, Chickpea and Tomato Salad
A Tuna, Chickpea and Tomato Salad: both healthy and hearty, with juicy tomatoes and protein-packed chickpeas. A perfect quick lunch!
- 400g (1.5 cups) tin chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 180g (3/4 cup) tin tuna, drained and broken into chunks
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chickpeas, tuna, tomatoes, and red onion in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, add the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, sea salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Serve immediately.
This salad will serve two as a main meal, or four if serving as a side dish.