Simple Saffron Risotto
Yield 4-6 Servings
A simple Saffron Risotto (Risotto alla Milanese). An easy, creamy rice dish for a mid-week family meal, yet elegant enough for any dinner party! Ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 tsp saffron strands
- 1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 400g Arborio (or Carnaroli) rice (ordinary rice is not suitable for risotto)
- 200ml dry white wine
- 50g butter
- 100g parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Place the saffron strands in a small bowl and mix with a few tablespoons of the hot vegetable stock. Set aside.
- Heat the oil over a medium-high heat in a large pan. Fry the onion for 3-4 minutes until soft, but not browned.
- Add in the rice and cook for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the wine to the pan and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the saffron mixture, along with a ladleful of the stock. Bring back to a simmer.
- Pour in the stock, a little at a time, stirring until each addition has been absorbed.
- The risotto is ready when all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. This should take about 20-25 minutes. You may not need all the stock.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the butter and parmesan. Stir everything together until butter and cheese have melted and everything is combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Courses Main Dish
Recipe by Olive Tree Kitchen at http://olivetreekitchen.com/simple-saffron-risotto/