This luscious Mediterranean Tuna and Roast Pepper Fusilli recipe is full of caramelized roasted vegetables and creamy feta cheese creating a healthy, filling main dish.
I don’t know about you, but personally I could eat my own body weight in pasta at any time of the year. However, in winter the lure of the carbohydrates becomes particularly tempting. Normally this could be a recipe for disaster, but when you have a pasta dish that is so stuffed full with Mediterranean vegetables and healthy lean protein it is difficult to feel guilty about it.
This a a true winter-warmer and perfect for a chilly winter’s day. The colourful vegetables provide a good dose of Vitamins A and C while *almost* fooling you into thinking you are in sunnier climes.
If you have never tried roasting peppers, courgettes and onions before, do give it a try. It’s truly a revelation. They develop a wonderful sweetness and it’s my favourite way of preparing them. I have used fusilli pasta here but you could, of course, use penne or indeed any other pasta you have lurking in the back of your pantry.
Mediterranean Tuna and Roast Pepper Fusilli
Yield 6 people
Mediterranean Tuna and Roast Pepper Fusilli recipe. Full of caramelized roasted vegetables and creamy feta cheese creating a healthy, filling main dish.
- 500g Fusilli Pasta
- 2 Small Cans of Tuna
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, De-seeded and Sliced
- 2 Yellow Bell Peppers, De-seeded and Sliced
- 1 Courgette (Zucchini), Sliced
- 2 Red Onions, Roughly Chopped
- 200g Feta Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of Dried Mixed Herbs or Italian Style Herb Mix
- 2 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Teaspoon of Sea Salt
For The Vegetables:
- Turn on the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas 6.
- Chop and slice all the vegetables and place in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, the mixed herbs and the sea salt to the vegetables. Mix well.
- Place the vegetables in a roasting dish and spread them out evenly. Do not overlap them too much.
- Roast for 4o minutes or so, mixing the vegetables once or twice during cooking. The vegetables should be caramelized and darkened at the edges.
For The Pasta:
- While the vegetables are cooking, boil a large pan of salted water.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the instructions on the packet (usually 10-12 minutes).
- Drain the pasta in a colander and return to the pan.
- Stir all the roasted vegetables and tuna into the cooked pasta.
- Crumble the feta cheese into the pasta and vegetables and stir well.
- Serve immediately.
Courses Main Dish