Mediterranean spiced sweet potato fries. Simple healthy fries tossed in olive oil, garlic, paprika and a za’atar spice blend and roasted in the oven. Vegan, gluten free and super tasty!
How do you like your sweet potato fries? Do you like them really thin and skinny or more chunky, almost verging on wedges? I’m firmly in the wedges camp myself. I definitely like a bit of substance to my fries. There are so many ways to season them too and sweet potato afficionados have probably tried most of the common seasonings already.
I’m willing to bet that you’ve never had them flavoured with za’atar though?
What…never even heard of za’atar before? Well, don’t worry, you are in for a real treat!
Za’atar is a spice blend that is used widely in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cooking and consists mainly of thyme, oregano and sesame seeds among other herbs and spices. It has a lovely mild, slightly tangy flavour and it’s the perfect partner to the soft sweetness of the fries. You don’t even have to mix it yourself these days as it’s commonly available in jars ready blended from most big supermarkets (at least here in the UK).
This recipe couldn’t be simpler: just peel your sweet potatoes and toss them in a big bowl with the olive oil, za’atar, garlic, and paprika. Spread them on a baking tray and pop in the oven for 40-45 minutes until browned at the edges.
Make sure you have some sauce on hand for dipping those fries into when they come out of the oven. I’m a garlic sauce girl, personally. 😉
Mediterranean Spiced Sweet Potato Fries
Yield 4 servings
Mediterranean spiced sweet potato fries. Simple healthy fries tossed in olive oil, garlic, paprika and a za'atar spice blend and roasted in the oven. Vegan, gluten free and super tasty!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into thick batons
- 2 tbsp za'atar spice blend
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and roughly chop them into similar sized batons - about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- In a large bowl add the za'atar, paprika, garlic powder, salt and olive oil.
- Add the fries into the bowl and coat thoroughly using the hands.
- Spread the fries onto a large baking tray, spreading them evenly without touching each other.
- Put the fries in the oven for 40-45 minutes, turning over halfway through, until well cooked and browning at the edges.
Courses Side Dish