Chocolate And Golden Syrup Loaf Cake
Yield 10-12 slices
Chocolate and Golden Syrup Loaf Cake - a rich, indulgent dessert guaranteed to solve ALL your chocolate cravings! Perfect for a Valentine's Day treat!
For the cake:
- 200g plain flour
- 275g caster sugar
- 175g soft butter
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 large eggs
- 4tbsp golden syrup
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 125ml boiling water
- 200g dark chocolate chips or pieces
For the syrup:
- 125ml water
- 100g caster sugar
- 1tsp cocoa powder
- 50g dark chocolate pieces and flakes
- Allow all ingredients to come to room temperature before beginning.
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325ºF/Gas 3. Put a baking tray in the oven to heat.
- Line a 2lb/900g loaf tin with greased foil, or use a ready-made loaf liner.
- Put the flour, sugar, butter, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, eggs, golden syrup and vanilla extract into a large bowl and mix (preferably with an electric mixer) until you have a smooth batter.
- Add the boiling water and mix well again. Stir in the chocolate chips or pieces.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and place on the hot baking tray in the oven. Cook for around 60-80 minutes until the cake is risen and split down the middle. This is a damp batter, and the middle of the cake will still be slightly sticky when cooked and tested with a skewer.
- About 10 minutes before the cake is due to come out of the oven, start the syrup glaze by placing the water, sugar and cocoa powder into a small pan and boil for around 5-10 minutes until the ingredients reduce into a syrup.
- Remove the cake from the oven then, still in the tin, pierce the cake all over with a skewer. Pour the syrup evenly over the top of the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Scatter the chocolate pieces and flakes over the surface of the sticky cake.
- Enjoy! ;)
Recipe by Olive Tree Kitchen at http://olivetreekitchen.com/chocolate-and-golden-syrup-loaf-cake/